I have had many friends, colleagues, and filmmakers approach me about the Hackintosh I built to edit a feature film in Final Cut Pro X. So I thought I’d throw together a quick post to share the parts I used – as in the world of Hackintosh, it all comes down to selecting the right parts. This isn’t a “How-To” article, it’s more of a reference of highly compatible parts to make your Hackintosh build experience a smooth one.
For a quick view, here is the entire list of my Hackintosh parts on AMAZON
To date, I have built three Hackintoshes, and while they are not 100% without quirks, I by far prefer them to the new Mac Pro’s or iMacs for professional editorial work. They simply allow me to beef up the graphics cards, load them up with quality, inexpensive ram, and allow me to install up to 8 hard drives. Below you’ll find the parts I purchased. These parts, specifically the AMD cards, were chosen for the best FCPX experience. AMD cards are very tricky in a Hackintosh, so you need to tread carefully, I have tried almost a dozen cards, and these AMD cards work out of the box! They mimic the current Mac Pro’s AMD FirePro D500 cards almost to a tee.
The parts I have chosen are very compatible and make installation a breeze with the TonyMacX86 Chimera / Multibeast method. The great thing about this system is that the Motherboard has dual Thunderbolt 2 ports on it that work just great under Mac OS X – this is an absolute MUST for speedy access to storage. (You have to install Windows on the system, boot into it, and activate the Thunderbolt 2 ports.)
I am currently using a DROBO 5D (20TB) – but I would prefer a PEGASUS RAID for speed when working with RED .R3D files. My colorist on my current film, Denver Riddle of Color Grading Central, had me dump the entire project on to his PEGASUS Raid and when I did, I was blown away with the speed! If I were to do it all over again I would go with the PEGASUS.
My Hackintosh Pro Specs
- PROCESSOR: 4.4 GHZ Intel Core i7 Processor
- MEMORY: 32GB DDR Memory
- BOOT DRIVE: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB
- OPTICAL DRIVE: SATA DVD RW Burner Drive with DVD+R DL
- MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
- (2) AMD GRAPHICS: Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 280X 3 GB GDDR5 (these are a crucial ingredient for FCPX)
- NVIDIA GRAPHICS: EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB GDDR5 (NOTE: FCPX does not like NVIDIA Cards – AMD Cards are far superior)
- POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt Power Supply AX860
- WebCamera: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
- USB 3.0 CARD / CARD READER: Rosewill 2-Port USB 3.0 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub eSATA Multi-In-1 Internal Card Reader
- CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series Black 550D
- 3 MONITOR STAND: Deluxe Triple Monitor Stand Free Standing
- MONITORS: ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch WQHD LED-lit
- Here is the entire list of my Hackintosh parts on AMAZON